A CV boot is a cover that fits over each of the joints located on a constant velocity axle, which is used to transfer power from the transmission or differential of the drive wheels. The axle has a joint on each end that allows axle to flex and move with the suspension and steering components. The CV joint is designed to allow the joint to flex through the use of bearings while maintaining a constant speed.
The purpose of the boot is to hold a special grease within the joint to keep it lubricated. It also serves to keep dirt and other contaminants from entering the joint. If dirt gets into the joint, it will cause joint bearings to wear excessively and the axle to fail. To prevent major damage, it is important to keep an eye on your vehicle’s CV boots to ensure any damage is repaired in a timely manner and you do not experience a failure. CV boots are typically located on the CV axle used on front-wheel-drive vehicles, but can also be present on the rear axle of an all-wheel-drive or rear-wheel-drive vehicle.
To Check Your CV Boots:
- Check For Grease On Your Wheel – When the outer boot fails, grease will come out of the joint and while the axle is spinning, the grease will typically get thrown on the wheels.
- Check For Grease On Fender Well – Due to some vehicle designs, the CV joint grease cannot make its way onto the wheel itself and will often be thrown onto the fender well liner.
- Do an Under Vehicle Inspection
- Materials Needed: Flashlight, hydraulic floor jack, jack stands, wheel chocks
- Step 1: Park your car on a flat, solid surface
- Step 2: Place wheel chocks around the rear tires
- Step 3: Jack up your vehicle
- Step 4: Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands
- Step 5: Check for a cracking or torn CV boot
- Step 6: Check for leaking CV boot clamps
If you spot trouble with your CV boots, it is important to seek help from service professionals. Come by Legend Auto Sales and let our service experts help you keep your vehicle running at its best. Visit your local used car dealership at 14650 1st Ave S. Burien, WA, 98168 or give us a call at (206) 241-1888 to schedule your next service appointment. Our service hours are Monday-Saturday 9 AM-8 PM and Sundays 10 AM-7 PM. You can also schedule your service appointment online anytime. We are proud to serve our Kent, Renton, Seattle, and Burien area customers.