Applying touch-up paint can be an easy way to help you keep your vehicle looking brand new. That’s why Legend Auto Sales near Seattle, Washington wants to help our customers with tips on the best methods to apply touch-up paint for your vehicle. Repairing your vehicle’s paint keep your vehicle looking great, protects your investment, and helps you avoid costly trips to the auto body shop.
- Choose Your Paint – Matching your touch-up paint to your vehicle’s paint color is vital. Most manufacturers color match to your vehicle’s paint code, which you can find on the label in your vehicle’s driver side door.
- Preparation – Locate a shady, well-ventilated area with minimal dust and low humidity to complete your touch-up work. Thoroughly clean the area your are planning to touch-up with soap and grease remover. If the area has rust, use 220-grit sandpaper to remove it. Next, apply a thin coat of automotive primer and let it dry overnight.
- Base Coat – Once primer has dried, apply a base coat of color in light coats. Let each dry before applying another to build thin layers of paint that will even out as they are added. After this is completed, allow this to dry overnight.
- Clear Coat – When the paint is cured, ti is time to apply a clear coat. Similar to the paint application, apply clear coat in thin, light layers allowing it to dry completely between applications. Note: Any amount of pressure could remove the paint and you’ll have to start again.
- Polish – Don’t worry if your touch-up paint isn’t perfect at this point. The final step blends the touch-up area with the rest of your vehicle’s painted surface. Allow the paint and clear coats to harden for several days, then apply rubbing compound to the entire area. Follow the compound’s directions to ensure a smooth, shiny finish.
Do you need assistance applying your vehicle’s touch-up paint? Come by Legend Auto Sales at 14650 1st Ave S, Burien, WA 98168 or call us at (206) 241-1888 to set up your appointment with our service professionals today. We are proud to serve our Kent, Seattle, Burien, and Renton area customers. Our service hours are Monday-Saturday 9 AM-8 PM and Sundays 10 Am-7 PM. You can also schedule your service appointment online anytime.